Unlocking Bootloaders is the first thing Huawei/Honor users need to perform before trying to root or install TWRP/CWM custom recovery. As we all know, most of the OEM companies ship their smartphones with a locked bootloader and the Huawei is one among those in the list. No need to worry about as here we have shared complete steps to unlock bootloader of any Huawei EMUI smartphone.
The first important step of the unlocking process is to obtain a 16-digit bootloader unlock code from Huawei official website. It is a simple process and every user can follow it easily. So without much ado, follow the below guide on how to Unlock Bootloader of Huawei & Honor phones.
- Unlocking the Bootloader of Huawei/Honor device voids company warranty. The service center may deny a repair under warranty if your device has the bootloader unlocked.
- Huawei Advices should not be held responsible for any damage occurs to your device during or after the unlocking procedure which is uncertain if you follow steps accordingly.
- The process will erase all your device data so make sure to perform a complete backup of all your important data including photos, videos, app data, contacts, etc.
- The charging level on your mobile should be more than 80% to avoid unnecessary power-off between the unlocking process.
- Enable ‘USB Debugging’ and ‘OEM unlock’ option from Setting > Developer option. To enable Developer Options, go to About Phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
- Install Huawei USB Drivers on your PC.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
You may also like – List of Huawei phones confirmed to get the Android Q / EMUI 10 update
Method 1: Unlock Bootloader using third-party Unlock Code:
Recently, Huawei has stopped providing bootloader unlock code to any Huawei device. In this scenario, third-party services came to rescue us. Earlier, there was no need to spend anything to get bootloader unlock code from Huawei, but now users need to spend up to $60 to get unlock code. Here we have few third-party sites offering Huawei bootloader unlock code at a few. All you want to do is provide your device IMEI number and they will send unlock code within 15 days.
Sites offering Bootloader Unlock Code
Steps to Unlock Huawei Bootloader:
Step 1: Get Bootloader Unlock code from above sites and save it somewhere safe.
Step 2: Now open the ADB and FASTBOOT folder and open the command window / PowerShell by holding SHIFT key + Press right click on the mouse.
Step 3: Turn off your device and boot into fastboot mode. To do so, you need to press Volume Up + Power button simultaneously. Alternatively, one can also enter the below command.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 4: Now unlock your device’s bootloader with this command line.
fastboot oem unlock ******
Make sure to replace the ****** with the unique code which you saved in Step 1.
Step 5: Once it is done, you can reboot your phone. Now you can install TWRP Recovery, Custom Kernel, Root or even install Custom ROM. Enjoy!
Method 2: Offical method to Unlock Huawei Bootloader [Not Working]
1. Firstly, you need to create Huawei ID from this page. (If you already have a Huawei ID, you have to skip step 1 & 2)
2. After filling the necessary details, an activation link will be sent to your registered Email address. Tap on the link to activate your account.
3. Go to code request page and login to your account with necessary Huawei ID and Password.
4. Accept the general unlock agreement.
5. Fill the necessary details about your model like IMEI Number, Serial Number, Phone model, and Product Identification Code.
6. You will get the Unlock Code. Make sure to save the code safely as it will be needed for unlocking bootloader.
For unlocking bootloader of Huawei or Honor smartphones, you need to follow the below steps one after another –
Step 1: Download & install Minimal ADB & USB Drivers on your PC.
Step 2: Turn of your Huawei device and boot into Fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold the volume down + power keys until a logo appears on your screen.
Step 3: Take a USB cable and connect the device with PC.
Step 4: Go to ADB and Fastboot installation directory and open the command window thereby pressing and holding the ‘Shift’ key and right-click anywhere in that ADB folder.
Step 5: Give the following command:
fastboot oem unlock unlock code
Step 6: Replace the unlock code with the code you got in the above steps.
Step 7: Tap on ‘Enter’ to confirm the flash. Wait for a while until the flashing process is completed.
Step 8: Once done, type “fastboot reboot” to restart the smartphone into normal mode.
That’s it! Your device bootloader has been successfully unlocked. You’re all set to root your device and install custom ROM/Recovery. If you have any queries regarding the above procedure, do comment below.
- Download Huawei HiSuite [PC Suite] for PC
- Download Huawei Firmware Finder – Official tool to download latest firmware
- Download Android 9.0 Pie Launcher APK for Oreo & Nougat phones